Monday, June 19, 2006

The Demolition of Brooks Hall: June 19

Today began the demolition of Brooks Hall, once the oldest men's residence hall on the Baylor campus.

There is a good photo feature on today's demolition activity here on the Baylor Public Relations website. Also, I met a technician today who was installing a webcam on Pat Neff Hall which he said would soon provide daily views of the Brooks Village construction progress on the main Baylor web page. I'll post a link here to the webcam as soon as it's available.

I took photos of the demolition myself, about 11:30 a.m. CST today. Here's some of what I saw:









There was a pile of large stones on the ground in back of Brooks Hall, and it appeared that a weathered metal plaque was attached to the largest of these stones:


At first I was puzzled by what this could be, since I didn't recall any such plaque being attached to Brooks Hall. But then I looked closer and realized that this was the demolished remains of the Confederate soldiers' monument which stood until recently in front of the small parking lot next to the ROTC building, in what used to be known as Harrington Park. The monument was erected back in the 1930s to honor local Civil War veterans. I hope, but don't know for sure, that it might be erected in a new location at some point in the future.

I'll be taking more pictures of the Brooks Hall demolition as it progresses throughout the week.

Photos by Randy Fiedler

No comments: